Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 21:01:57 +0200

Garreau, Alexandre wrote:

> Elisp is often to be considered a bad
> language

By whom? Elisp is not considered a bad
language. It is just another Lisp dialect.
I wouldn't recommend it for an industrial style
project - Common Lisp, rather - but for Emacs
purposes it is great and not that different at
all from many other Lisps that are around.

The reason there are so many Lisps is that it
is so easy to do, just the REPL and you have
it. Not that there is anything wrong with all
the other dialects already there. Basically it
is all just Lisp.

And a note on university education.
There aren't really courses on specific
languages anymore, if there ever was (?).
The courses have names that denotes different
themes or aspects of computers/computing, and
then you do stuff with tools and languages to
fit the purpose.

So one course is called "Imperative and OO
Programming", and then you do C (imperative)
and C++ (OO); another course is
"Database Management" and you do SQL; another
is AI and *there* you might do Lisp again (I
forgot about that when I only mentioned
functional programming); with
"Operating Systems" you do C again, maybe even
some assembler language, and bash; and so on
and so forth.

So even if you don't find the word "Lisp"
anywhere doesn't mean it isn't taught
anywhere/-longer. There is hope :)

--
underground experts united