Spam through the newsgroup gateway

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Spam through the newsgroup gateway
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 13:13:54 -0600

Since we have been talking about the newsgroup gateway of late...

The recent spam messages just now to the mailing list came through the
newsgroup and not the mailing list.  There isn't a way to filter it
from the mailing list since it is done upstream by Mailman outside of
our control.

It is an example of a peeve of mine with the way Mailman handles
email.  When spam enters the newsgroup it is gateway'd directly to the
mailing list bypassing spam filtering.  If it went through the spam
filtering the same as other mail then I would be okay with it.  The
only direct way to stop it is to block messages from the gateway.  And
obviously we have already talked about why that isn't desired.

Public Service Announcement: Please do not reply to spam.  If a valid