Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 15:53:19 +0200

Garreau, Alexandre wrote:

> It is, I believe, in expressivity, still
> a better language than most languages, such
> as javascript, C

Lisp is different from these languages. So it
is difficult to compare it to any of them. C is
a basic, fast, robust language which is suited
for most down-to-earth things, like the OS and
most Unix (GNU) tools you are probably using
right now (as well as Emacs, for that matter).
The spread of C and UNIX/Unix are
interconnected to a high degree.

JavaScript, I've heard, isn't what it once was,
and maybe it even shares some features with
Lisp today. But it isn't Lisp. Lisp is like the
Pythagoras' theorem of computing. So it
doesn't lend itself to language wars.

> So in the end it’s not a real “functional
> programming” course, it is a fake name, the
> real object of the course is “ocaml
> programming”.

These paradigms (imperative programming,
functional programming, etc.) are more like
models for your mind to start thinking in
certain ways, i.e. to enhance your
understanding. They aren't really instruction
booklets what to do. Lisp were there before
them and if you want to, you can program in any
style with Lisp. Perhaps the language in itself
inclines naturally toward a more functional
style, but even that is optional.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573