Re: How to commit hunks using VC?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: How to commit hunks using VC?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 21:59:57 +0200

>> If I need to commit a change that is finer than a single line, I can
>> press ‘RET’ on the relevant line in the diff, which takes me to the
>> buffer of the file at point, with point on the corresponding line. I
>> can edit the line, save the file, switch to the status buffer, stage
>> the line, switch back to the file, and undo the changes so that I
>> could put them in the next commit.
>> Stash never enters the picture.
>
> Whether you use "do ... undo" as above, or "cp foo foo.bak ... cp
> foo.bak foo" or "stash ... unstash" is up to you.  To me these are just
> minor variants of the same approach.

Please note that the "do ... undo" method is only required with Magit to
commit "a change that is is finer than a single line".

I have a genuine interest on why some people avoid Magit. I stopped
recommending it on emacs.devel whenever a git question pops up because,
apparently, the people who post those questions are utterly uninterested
on a tool that solves their usability problems altogether :-)