Re: Menu character size, menu face, menu font, menu text size

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Menu character size, menu face, menu font, menu text size
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 19:48:53 +0300

> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 09:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: BobD <daycandle@gmail.com>
>
> Using Windows 7 Home Premium
> Emacs 26.1
>
> To set character size in text buffers, e.g. Unix, I set default-frame-alist.
> But I haven't found how to set the size of menu characters.
> I tried changing "Menu face" and "Button face" in "Customize Group: Basic
> Faces", "Options menu/Customize emacs", with no effect.
>
> Is there a variable I can set in elisp, or is there a Customizable variable I
> can set?

On Windows?  You can't: the size of the font used for menus is the
system default, because Emacs uses the system's "toolkit" to display
menus.  It's the same as with X toolkits: the font of the menus is
determined by customizing the toolkit, not by customizing Emacs.

IOW, if you want to change the size of characters in the menus, you
need to change that for all the programs on that system, in the
settings for system menus.