Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 19:27:11 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> Hence the difficulty to find places that
> teach elisp, since such places would rather
> teach general computing, than domain
> specific computing.

In theory yes, and in practice I think that is
what they do most of the time.

Still, the step from whatever
industrial-strength Lisp to Elisp isn't exactly
a grand leap, and you don't have to be
a CS/math type to do it, really.

There is also the reversed movement, i.e.
people who discover Lisp thru Emacs and Elisp.

If one were to quantify these tendencies, when
you do a university course in programming, it
feels like a heck of a job, it takes forever
etc., but compare that to all the Joe Emacs
hackers all around the world who use Emacs
every day and fiddle with Elisp with all their
(our) wierd projects...

Perhaps some decades ago the industry and
university share was much bigger (the "Lisp
Wars" and all) but today I wonder if not Emacs
in particular is "The Moor's Last Sigh"?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573