Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 02:52:48 +0200

On 2018-10-27 at 11:40, Gene wrote:
> Have you considered a learning-centered, autodidactic approach?

Speaking of teaching, this subject normally does not reguard
autodidactic approaches, as these are implied: I’m pretty sure most of
elispers already taught it themselves, maybe, at best, using the
Introduction, the Reference manual, or tutorials and examples on the
internet.  The question is how successfull and easy would it prove to
try to use it to teaching programming, until succes, to a large crowd of
student, whose majority shouldn’t give up: autodidactic approach doesn’t
allow that, as people will either succeed, give up, or ask others on the
internet (and then that’s less and less “autodidactic”: that’s just
informal, extrascholar).

If that’s about autoditactic-centered approach *in teaching*, then I
like it, but I’ve yet to see it be implemented correctly, because the
point of teaching is interaction (dynamically checking with users for
how relevant and efficient are your teaching content and resources) and
supervision (trying to creatively find and develop new ways of
explaining to suparts of users who may still not understand while other
would).

Otherwise I’ve heard many stories on some private school in France
(namely, 42), which are extremely disliked, commonly as a swindle (it’s
part of a schema based on extreme fund-cutting: their students have to
pay (for material, among other things) and their teachers (when they
exist), as their computers, aren’t paid), as their organizations
globally try to promote a form of “collaboration” based on heavily
aggressive competition and others exploitation until enough, where
students have to figure out the course, be the firsts at doing so, then
help the others (so to climb in hierarchy and make them formally in debt
of them), all that most of time without teachers (while interaction with
them might lower you in the course), and trying to get favors from other
students.

This is an extreme, where autonomy is used to make up a not-financed,
financial-sink (almost nothing is invested, everything ends in
shareholders, I heard), hardly bearable hierarchy, but I’d like to see
an extreme on the other end, that’d still be scholar teaching.