Re: troubles compiling emacs26.1 on ubuntu18.04

From: Javier
Subject: Re: troubles compiling emacs26.1 on ubuntu18.04
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 11:49:24 +0000 (UTC)

Le TeXnicien de Surface <le.texnicien.de.surface@orange.fr> wrote:
> hello all
>
> I'm trying to compile emacs26.1 on my ubuntu18.04
> the configuration stage works well
> I've just got a warning about GTK+ and a possible crash
> in case of many instances
> The make phase stalls with this message:

The default build has too many dependencies.  If you want to get
something compiled without much hassle just disable dependencies in
the build.

It looks like you are using libcairo, which is experimental.
What options are you using for ./configure?

Look at ./configure --help

./configure --help | grep -i cairo
  --with-cairo            compile with Cairo drawing (experimental)
    CAIRO_CFLAGS
                  C compiler flags for CAIRO, overriding pkg-config
                    CAIRO_LIBS  linker flags for CAIRO, overriding pkg-config

Also try a lighter toolkit.

--with-x-toolkit=KIT (KIT one of: yes or gtk, gtk2, gtk3, lucid or athena,
motif, no)

Try --with-x-toolkit=lucid and if that doesn't work you can still use
--with-x-toolkit=no (terminal only).

--with-sound=no is also worth trying.

wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz
tar xJvf emacs-26.1.tar.xz
cd emacs-26.1
./configure --help
./configure --prefix=/usr/local ; make ; make install

You may also want to look at this thread.  There libpng was the problem.

https://gnu.emacs.help.narkive.com/XsRHCibV/ubuntu-font-of-wisdom#post1