Use emacs.desktop when starting emacs from a particular directory

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Use emacs.desktop when starting emacs from a particular directory
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 16:58:45 +0100

Platform: debian 9.1 "stretch", amd64
          emacs 25.1

I would like emacs to use the ~/workspaces/.emacs.desktop when started
in a particular manner by a script, and not use a desktop file otherwise
(when SSH'ing in I would like to restore my development session as much
as possible).

The way I've tried to accomplish it is by starting emacs with the
following commands:
 cd ~/workspaces
 emacs --eval "(progn (setq desktop-path (expand-file-name \"~/workspaces\"))
(desktop-save-mode 1))" >/dev/null 2>&1 &

However, the desktop file used is actually ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop and
a ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock file is created as well, and all
emacses started by my user on this computer tries to use the desktop
file (which is not what I want).

Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!

- Steinar