Re: Use emacs.desktop when starting emacs from a particular directory

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Use emacs.desktop when starting emacs from a particular directory
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 00:41:46 +0100

> Can you figure out *when*?  AFAIK Emacs's desktop normally doesn't
> choose a desktop file for the user, it should always prompt (or reuse
> an existing file).  So the behavior you describe doesn't match
> my expectation.  Could it be that you set `desktop-dirname` somewhere in
> your customization (maybe in the desktop file itself)?

I found this at the end of my .emacs
;; Only GNU Emacs supports this desktop session restore
(if (not running-xemacs)
    (progn
      (desktop-load-default)
      (desktop-read)))

Annotate says this is from March 12 2002 (but it's probably older.  It's
around the time I organized my RCS versioned config files into a CVS
archive with branches (later transformed in to a subversion repository
and eventually a git repository))

I removed this, moved .emacs.d/.emacs.desktop (from the last session) to
~/workspaces and re-ran the script.

This time I got an error message
 setq: Symbol’s value as variable is void: desktop-path
which is probably push complaining.

I've changed the script to
 cd ~/workspaces
 emacs --eval "(progn (progn (setq desktop-path (list (expand-file-name
\"~/workspaces\"))) (desktop-save-mode 1)) (desktop-save-mode 1))" >/dev/null
2>&1 &

Now emacs doesn't have an error message, does not restore any windows,
but on emacs exit:
 1. asks if the desktop files should be written
 2. prompts for the directory to save in, with ~/workspaces as the
    default
 3. says that there is an existing desktop file in this directory, and
    that the current session was not loaded from a desktop file, and
    should it overwrite the file yes/no

I let emacs overwrite the file and restarted using the script.  But the
behaviour was the same.

I'll look more at it tomorrow.

Thanks again!