Re: Time to consider/try Helm?

From: Neal Becker
Subject: Re: Time to consider/try Helm?
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 10:09:59 -0400

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> On 2018-10-31, at 12:23, YUE Daian <sheepduke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Ivy can do these things, too.
>>
>> Sure. And dramatically after I tried Ivy since yesterday, I have already
>> uninstalled helm...
>
> Wow, that escalated quickly.
>
>> Thank you guys, for helping me find a new tool that suits my taste more.
>
> As someone who used both Helm and Ivy, could you summarize the key
> differences?  I don't think I'm going to switch to Helm;-), but I'm just
> curious.

>>> How is that beneficial?  (I don't claim it isn't - I just don't know
>>> what are the pluses.)
>>
>> Here "change" is a neutral word.
>>
>> Some people like it, some people don't.
>>
>> Some people say that using an individual buffer may display more
>> information, such as file size, directory etc for buffer list.
>>
>> IMHO most information is not really needed (by me).
>>
>> So personally I could accept it, but I don't miss it after switching to
>> Ivy.
>
> I see.
>
> Thanks,

I have't tried recently, but had played with helm, ivy, etc while trying
spacemacs.  As someone who's used emacs for maybe 30+ years and has lots of
muscle memory, I found them all unacceptable.  The issue is that I often
want to get a completion and then edit it.  Maybe rename a file to a similar
name but then change some characters.  I found it difficult/impossible to
use the emacs editing I'm used to on completions.  One of these addons even
had the nerve to rebind the arrow keys to not move the cursor!  This is a
criminal act :)