Re: hideshow docstring in elisp or common lisp code

From: Mirko
Subject: Re: hideshow docstring in elisp or common lisp code
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 05:57:04 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 2:05:17 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Mirko Vukovic wrote:
>
> > I would like to hide/show docstrings of my
> > common lisp code.
>
> Sorry for a non-answer, but why do you want to
> do that? Instead, practice to write really
> short and to-the-point instructions :)
>
> There are formal rules, which are good to stick
> to. Probably you are aware of them, and the
> facilities to formally check the formalities,
> but I tell you/everyone else anyway how to do
> it:
>
>     (defun check-package-style ()
>       (interactive)
>       (checkdoc-current-buffer t) ; TAKE-NOTES
>       (message "Style check done.") )
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> underground experts united
> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Emanuel,

First thanks for pointing to checkdoc.  I was not
aware of it.

My intent is to keep the function's documentation
close to the function itself.

For my Common Lisp code I follow the layout used in
the official documentation (the Hyperspec), which
while verbose, starts with a single line brief
explaining the function.  Hideshow on that would work
very nicely on that convention.

One benefit (for me) is the documentation generator
(HeLambdaP) that parses the lisp file and the docstring,
and generates the html documentation straight from the
docstring.

To summarize:
- keeping documentation close to the code makes
  maintenance easy
- Following hyperspec convention allows for generation
  of html documentation.

Mirko