Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?

From: Gene
Subject: Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 07:41:57 -0800 (PST)

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 6:28:06 PM UTC-5, Drew Adams wrote:
> To come back to the question about learning programming
> through Emacs and Emacs Lisp, I happened to reread this
> RMS article today:
>
> "EMACS: The Extensible, Customizable Display Editor"
> This paper was written by Richard Stallman in 1981 and
> delivered in the ACM Conference on Text Processing.[1]

<snip>

> Educators have found display programming to be very suited for
> children experimenting with programming, for just this reason (see LOGO).

`Display programming'?
Really?

Now we know why the venerable Richard Stallman's name was not listed as a
co-author of Turtle Geometry.

ref: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Turtle+Geometry+(book)

I see no movement of either Scratch or Snap! to promote either the translation
or re-presentaion of their pixel-based `display'
 -- as in `display programming' --
 into `cell based' -- EG `text' -- `display programming'.

Yet emacs does support SVG, which, like logo, is a Vector-based form of
`display' which most of us would call `graphics';
so it would seem that SVG *might* be used to represent the line segments
produced by turtle graphics via Logo, Scratch, and Snap!.

ref: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=emacs+SVG

Through this search I just discovered the possibility of SVG graphics being
inlined in org-mode files is some cases, depending on the OS emacs is running
atop.

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/17545/inline-svgs-in-org-mode

`Display Programming' ... humpf!