Re: gnus registry pruning

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: gnus registry pruning
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 17:08:28 +0000

Dear Michael,
Thanks for your reply.

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> How can I set my registry to prune automatically?

    > It prunes automatically without any setting, but only when it has
    > gotten too large (more that gnus-registry-max-entries entries).

    >> I currently do this by hand, using `M-x gnus-registry-remake-db'
    >> when .gnus.registry.eieio get too large.

    > Doesn't this delete your registry?

Yes, but re-builds it.

    >> I set the default size explicitly in my ~/.gnus.el with
    >>
    >> (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500)

    > That should be sufficient.  You also need
    > (gnus-registry-initialize) of course.

Yes, I have that set too.

    > I have not much more and get pruning very frequently.

Ok, perhaps my problem is simply not waiting sufficiently long for
automatic pruning to kick in. I may perhaps be "panicking" as I see the
file .gnus.registry.eieio grow in size. Next time, I'll not remake the
registry database but wait and see what happens.

Best wishes,