Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Invoking a function from a list of functions

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Invoking a function from a list of functions
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 22:41:16 -0500

> Maybe we should add a "math" input method along the lines of those
> Agda/Lean input methods.  I currently use the TeX input method for such
> purposes but it tends to be a bit more verbose than I like.

A proper “math”/“logic” input method would be awesome.  Also, I
too find the TeX input method very verbose and much prefer the
shorter and easier-to-remember aliases of the Lean/Agda input
methods.

> In my experience (using the TeX input method when writing LaTeX),
> I think the main problem with the clash on \ is that when the LaTeX
> command I write has a valid prefix in the input method, the input method
> rewrites that prefix.  If we could fix it so that "\b" inputs "β" but
> "\beta" isn't rewritten to "βeta" then I might even be able to have \
> play both roles without going bonkers.

Indeed, I think fixing that would alleviate a major pain point
with the default \ prefix.  I guess the user then wouldn’t have
to also escape the \ itself (by typing it twice) when wanting to
write actual TeX commands?

-amin