Re: Creating automatic filename stamps

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: Creating automatic filename stamps
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 00:03:22 -0800

Drew:

Thank you for that pointer.  I haven't gotten far in running this down, but
I have discovered that the file you pointed to is different the another
time-stamp.el I have in my cache of old *.el files.  It is very similar,
but that one was written by Stephen Gildea, and it includes a format
parameter for the file name, or even   full-path file name of the current
file.  What I would like to do with this is make some changes so that the
current stamp is copied to another (possilby the next) line, before
updating.  If this is well designed, I would be able to track down changes
after the name of the file has been changes.  This has bee useful to me,
many times.

I will continue to fiddle with what I have.  The old verson of
time-stamp.el may or may not be the current canonical implementation.  I
don't know.  Yet.  I do not wish to attach the file I have, dated 2011, but
marked as copyright 2010.  I can provide that file on demand, with the
understanding it is not guaranteed to be the original file, but I don't
believe I have made changes of any consequence.  I does allow definition of
a time stamp format that inserts the file name.

Alan

--
[Fill in the blanks]

The use of corrupt manipulations and blatant rhetorical ploys ...---
outright lying, flagwaving, personal attacks, setting up phony
alternatives, misdirection, jargon-mongering, evading key issues, feigning
disinterested objectivity, willful misunderstanding of other points of
view---suggests that ... lacks both credibility and evidence.

             ---- Edward Tufte (in context of making presentations)