Re: Ediff: compare two (long) buffers Word-by-word

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Ediff: compare two (long) buffers Word-by-word
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 16:26:44 -0600

On 11/24/2018 1:33 PM, ST wrote:
Hello,

I use Emacs 26.1 and try to compare two (long) buffers (opened side by
side) by clicking Tools -> Compare (Ediff) -> Windows Word-by-word...
Then I choose both Windows (A and B) by clicking on each opened buffer.
However it looks like Emacs compares only the visible parts of the two
buffers, not the whole buffers. Why?

If you display the same buffer in 2 windows and then scroll one window past what is displayed in the other window, ediff-windows-wordwise doesn't find any differences. I've never used it before and I don't know what it's usefulness might be. It must be some kind of
short-cut for ediff-buffers used with only 2 buffers.

I saw there is a command `ediff-windows-wordwise`... How is "Window"
defined? - as "currently visible part of a buffer"? If yes, is there
something like `ediff-buffers-wordwise`?
A window is just the non-overlapping screen area where a buffer is displayed. Type C-h f ediff- tab tab and you'll see all the ediff functions. ediff-buffers is probably the one you want. It can also be accessed from the menu.

I have `git` in `exec-path`, so maybe I can make ediff to display the
output of `git diff --word-diff file1 file2` in ediff style?

Probably; M-! will let you enter a shell command.

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/46161/ediff-compare-two-long-buffers-word-by-word

Thank you!

Ed