Re: numbers instead of accented letters...

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: numbers instead of accented letters...
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:10:01 +0900

> On Nov 26, 2018, at 1:56, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> <mailto:monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>> wrote:
>
>> ;; pour h\303\251riter du $PATH quand Emacs est lanc\303\251 hors de la
>> ligne de commande
>
> Do you also see it if you open the file with `emacs -Q`?
> If so, try the following:
>
>    emacs -Q ~/.emacs.el
>    C-x RET r utf-8 RET
>
> this should re-read the file, but forcing Emacs to interpret it as utf-8,
> so presumably, "hériter" should now appear correctly.  Also the left part of
> the mode-line should say "U" to mean.
> If that's indeed, the case, then try to save the file (after making
> a trivial modification to it like `SPC DEL`).
>
> If this works without complaint, check the "U" in the mode-line: is it
> still there?

Everything worked as you said and indeed the U is still there.

When I first open the file I get an = where the U should be.

(emacs manual: "‘=’ means no conversion whatsoever, and is usually used for
files containing non-textual data"...)

So, should I interpret that as emacs is, for some reason, not using UTF-8 to
read the file ?

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com <http://mac4translators.blogspot.com/>
@brandelune