Re: Ediff: compare two (long) buffers Word-by-word

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ediff: compare two (long) buffers Word-by-word
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 10:16:05 +0200

> From: ST <smntov@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 15:48:32 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Somebody has provided a solution which seems to work very good without
> any performance issues. There is a small error message, though...
>
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/46161/ediff-compare-two-long-buffers-word-by-word

I still am not sure I understand what's wrong with the existing
command ediff-regions-wordwise.

> I assume the performance concerns where relevant 15-20 years ago
> (presumably the time when those lines of the docs were written).

It could be.  I removed from the documentation the numbers that
defined "large", however in general, for some value of "large" you
will still see slower performance from wordwise comparison compared to
the linewise comparison.

> If it is easier, then comparing two files word-by-word, would also be a
> nice feature:
>
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/46206/ediff-compare-two-files-word-by-word

Again, why doesn't ediff-regions-wordwise fit the bill?

> If this mailing list is the proper place to ask for enhancements: could
> those two functions(/menu options) be added to Emacs, please?

Bugs and enhancement request should be submitted using
report-emacs-bug, thank you.