Re: Overriding inherited face attributes

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Overriding inherited face attributes
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:34:43 +0100

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:35:55 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 21:01:36 +0100
>>
>> It would be helpful to know from precisely which part of the
>> documentation it follows that evaluating this:
>>
>> (insert (propertize "hello" 'face '(:foreground "red" :inherit
>> (:foreground "orange"))))
>>
>> displays "hello" in orange while evaluating this:
>>
>> (insert (propertize "hello" 'face '(:inherit (:foreground "orange")
>> :foreground "red")))
>>
>> displays "hello" in red.
>
> So this is only about what propertize does?  And only when some of the
> later properties override earlier ones?

Well, it's at least about what propertize does, since that was the OP's
example (the first form above), which lead to my observation of the
difference with the second form.  The documentation of propertize in
Lisp manual does not explain this difference, so I tried looking for
what I thought could be related, but in my ignorance of how face
properties work cited apparently irrelevant passages of the manual,
which seems to have sidetracked the question.  Sorry about that.

Steve Berman