Re: Overriding inherited face attributes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overriding inherited face attributes
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:08:47 +0200

> From: Boris Buliga <boris@d12frosted.io>
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:44:47 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> I don't see how it's specific to propetize. I can attach face differently, for
> example, by using add-text-properties or add-face-text-property:

propetize calls add-text-properties internally, so it's small wonder
you see the same results.

It is important to distinguish between 2 issues:

  1) How propertize and add-text-properties deal with lists of face
     attributes when later attributes override earlier ones.  This is
     what you seem to be asking about.

  2) How the Emacs display engine handles face attributes that come
     from different sources for the same display position.  This is
     what the ELisp manual talks about, mainly.

These two are different, because when propertize has done its thing,
the face attributes for the text it processed will be coming from a
single source: the face information associated with that text.