Re: using setq to create lists based on other lists...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using setq to create lists based on other lists...
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 11:05:08 -0500

> When I check "Modifying Existing List Structure" the only things I find of
> any use in my case are setcar/setcdr.

That's because "modifying" is the wrong way to think about it.

That section should start by telling the user that most likely what they
really want to do is something else (i.e. get a similar list structure
with some differences).

> I would certainly have considered that if I had known that setq was
> linking the lists :)

Clearly, "linking the lists" means something to you, but it means
nothing to me, so the manual can't really say something like that.

        Stefan