Re: List of checker supported by flymake

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: List of checker supported by flymake
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 23:27:34 +0000

seb@k-7.ch (Sébastien Gendre) writes:

> Since the latest update of Emacs, I use flymake. But I can't find, in
> the manual or in the Web, the list of supported checker.

Sorry for the very late reply.  When asking questions about a specific
package, you might find it useful to include the maintainer of the
package in CC.  You can usually find his/her email in the header of the
package, which you can see if you type M-x find-library RET
<name-of-library-in-this-case-flymake> RET.

> Are they listed somewhere?

No, but I can tell you:

1. The "new" Flymake as of 26.1 has backends for python-mode,
elisp-mode, ruby-mode, perl and cperl-mode, tex-mode and cc-mode.

2. There are "old" legacy backends listed in file
lisp/progmodes/flymake-proc.el

3. There is a tool called flymake-easy that can quickly create a legacy
backend.  https://github.com/purcell/flymake-easy

4. For more languages, you can use eglot LSP client that works with
Flymake.  See https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot

I recommend 1 or 4.  For 1, if you know some elisp, read the Flymake
manual with `M-x info' if you want to try to add one for your language.
I can help you get started and you can contribute your backend to Emacs.

João