Re: Share emacs --daemon between 2 users of same host

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Share emacs --daemon between 2 users of same host
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 14:34:43 -0500

>> > Is this at all possible?  I read here[1] that is and that you even get
>> > two simultenous cursors if two users are in the same buffer.
>> I'm pretty sure they're not referring to a functionality in vanilla
>> Emacs, unless they mean "two cursors" as in one cursor in one window and
>> another in another.
> Ok, two cursors aside (definitely not a showstopper) can you tell me if
> multi-user emacsclient is supported? If so, how exactly?

You can have two emacsclients connect to a single Emacs server process.
If those two emacsclients don't belong to the same user, you'll have to
do extra work, such as copying the credentials from one user to the
other, and the result suffers from very serious trust issues (that
(temporarily) gives full access to your account to the other user).

Other approaches rely on separate sessions synchronized via
some protocol.  In that case it is often possible for the two side to
use different editors.

Check https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CollaborativeEditing

But AFAIK there's currently no good solution.
Of those, Rudel is in GNU ELPA and in need of a lot of love.

        Stefan