Re: `write-region' writes different bytes than passed to it?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `write-region' writes different bytes than passed to it?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 14:47:53 -0500

> I'm not sure that single use case is important enough to change
> something that was working like that since Emacs 23.  Who knows how
> many more important use cases this will break?

Oh, indeed, especially since it sounds to me like the problem is in the
original code (if you don't want to change bytes, the use a `binary`
encoding rather than utf-8).

> This whole area is crawling with heuristics, whose only justification
> is that it does TRT in the vast majority of use cases.

Exactly: I think we should try and get rid of those heuristics
(progressively).  Actually, it's already what we've been doing since
Emacs-20, tho "lately" the progression in this respect has slowed
down I think.

        Stefan