Re: delete-trailing-whitespace behavior change?

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: delete-trailing-whitespace behavior change?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 21:51:05 -0600

Thanks for the responses. This has been going on for awhile now, and
precisely because of that randomness Kaushal mentioned, I've been
hesitant to report the problem before. I can't say that it happens
only at work, or at work and at home. I'm not even certain it's an
Emacs issue. It's possible some something injected into the toolchain
(maybe a git hook?) has been wreaking havoc with final newlines. Alas,
most other people at work are vim users (and don't write much Python
code) and could care less about extra whitespace, so my
before-write-hook often deletes a few spaces.

Regarding variables, both delete-trailing-lines and
require-final-newline are t. Neither is tweaked in ~/.emacs.

Skip