Re: gmane and gmail

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: gmane and gmail
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 22:34:31 -0700

Roy Lemmon wrote:
> What I have done is keep subscribed to the mailing list but turned
> off sending email. I could do this in the mailman interface.

Note that having nomail turned on is the same as not being subscribed
at all.  It is intended for people who go on vacation and want to
suspend email for a while and then turn it back on again when they
return without needing to revalidate their email address.

If you never intend to receive email it would keep the database
cleaner to simply unsubscribe.  Periodically I clean out dead
addresses that appear to have been offline for a long time.  Otherwise
the list of addresses in the mailing list grows without bounds over
time.

Note that there is no need to subscribe in order to post.  The gnu.org
lists are all open lists (except for some few exceptions) and anyone
may post to them.

> I agree gmane and nntp is better for the mailing lists.

It is a matter of personal taste.

Bob