Re: [modules] Possible return values of the env->type_of?

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: [modules] Possible return values of the env->type_of?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 17:13:19 +0100

Am Fr., 22. Juni 2018 um 19:52 Uhr schrieb Kaushal Modi
<kaushal.modi@gmail.com>:

>> Perhaps you'll find Philip's doc useful:
>> https://phst.github.io/emacs-modules#type_of
>

> Yes! That's where I figured out the relationship between env->type_of and
> type-of.
>
> @Philipp Can that documentation be made part of the Emacs Manual?

Eli has now written a manual section about modules, which should
contain similar information.

> It's really useful for folks like me who don't know C. In your doc, you say:
>
> > Because the module API is a C API, you have to be familiar with C to write
> > Emacs modules.
>
> But that doesn't seem to be the case for me :) Nim provides enough
> abstraction to use this API and make the code readable just like Python. This
> is what I am working on[1].
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/kaushalmodi/nim-emacs-module/blob/test-whole-emacs-module/test/modtest.nim

That's great! What I mean is "you have to know enough about syntax and
semantics of C to use the module API correctly", not "you have to know
every detail of C". In particular, the lifetime and threading issues
are quite subtle.