Re: Emacs nightly builds for GNU/Linux

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs nightly builds for GNU/Linux
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 12:31:14 -0000

On Sat, January 5, 2019 12:19 am, help-gnu-emacs@gkbrk.com wrote:
> Hey,
> While looking around, I noticed that there are a few places offering
> nightly builds for Mac OS but I didn't find one for GNU/Linux. I'd like
> to use a git build as my daily driver, but for now I'd like to do a test
> drive with nightly binaries.
>
> Is that something that's provided anywhere?

I would guess that most people using GNU/Linux build it for themselves. It
most a guess of adding a couple of packages, and then typing "make" in the
source tree. It runs in place, so you don't have to "re-install". I use
this technique so that I can switch between versions (i.e. either the
release branch or master if there isn't one).

For ubuntu there is a PPA
(https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ubuntu/ppa), and for other
distributions there may be similar things for other distributions.