Re: Return values of (find-file-noselect), etc.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Return values of (find-file-noselect), etc.
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 17:13:27 -0500

> If I have my emacs environment set up to call (cpio-mode) when it
> detects that a file is a cpio archive, then, e.g. (find-file-noselect
> "cpio-archive"), returns the dired-style buffer, not the buffer of the
> found file. So, any processing based on the newly found file is done
> with the dired-style buffer instead of the buffer with the newly found file.

It should return the buffer whose buffer-file-name is that of the file.
I think in your case, that should be the dired-style buffer and *also*
the buffer from which cpio-mode was called (i.e. the buffer which
originally held the file's content).
In RMAIL we satisfy these constraints using buffer-swap-text.

        Stefan