How to post-process the buffer populated by the async `start-process'

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: How to post-process the buffer populated by the async `start-process'
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 22:34:53 -0500

Hello,

I am using a package which starts a command in a subprocess (async) using
`start-process' and the results of the command are dumped in the buffer arg
passed to subprocess.

But the stdout sent to the buffer has ANSI escape codes.

If I manually visit that buffer, and eval (ansi-color-apply-on-region-int
(point-min) (point-max)), I can see the ANSI color codes nicely rendered.

But I cannot figure out how to do that *when* the start-process initiated
command ends *in* the specified stdout buffer.

If I do:

(apply #'start-process ..)
(with-current-buffer buffer
  (ansi-color-apply-on-region-int (point-min) (point-max)) )

.. it of course doesn't work because the a-c-a-o-r-i is getting called
before start-process initiated command ends.

So I somehow need to define a hook that can get triggered when that command
ends, and then call the a-c-a-o-r-i function. But I don't know how.

--
Kaushal Modi