Re: TRAMP sudo method not asking for password

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: TRAMP sudo method not asking for password
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 23:42:56 +0100

Hi Marcin,

>> And this IS documented. etc/NEWS says in the Tramp section

>> *** Validated passwords are saved by auth-source backends which support this.
>>
>> And in the Tramp manual, there is in (info "(tramp) Password handling")

>>    If there doesn’t exist a proper entry, the password is read
>> interactively.  After successful login (verification of the password),
>> it is offered to save a corresponding entry for further use by
>> ‘auth-source’ backends which support this.  This could be changed by
>> setting the user option ‘auth-source-save-behavior’ to ‘nil’.
>
> Well, I don't often read NEWS.  And the above is not very clear (it says
> nothing about the .authinfo file, for instance).

Why should it? Tramp uses auth-source, which has different backends. It
is not only the .authinfo file which gets the passwords, other backends
like the Secret Service API behave similar.

> 1. Am I the only one that thinks that this change could be made a bit
> more prominent?  Like using something like yes-or-no-p (as opposed to
> y-or-n-p) by default, for example?  Saving passwords to a plain text
> file is something big, which should not happen by accident, right?

Again, we don't speak about plain files only. And yes, yes-or-no-p might
fit better. This must be changed in auth-source.el.

Let's wait for some few days, and if nobody objects, I'll change
accordingly.

> Best,
>
> Marcin Borkowski

Best regards, Michael.