Re: Saving macros defined on-the-fly (F3, F4)

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Saving macros defined on-the-fly (F3, F4)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 16:31:03 -0600

> On Linux systems, is it possible to save a macro quickly defined using
> F3 and F4 and have it recalled at a later time and run by pressing
> F4 ?

Been awhile since I wanted to save (or even name) a keyboard macro, but try

C-x C-k n

to give it a name, or

C-x C-k b

to bind it to a key sequence. Once named, you can save its definition
across sessions with

M-x insert-kbd-macro RET

to insert it in the current buffer (typically one visiting ~/.emacs).

Not sure about the F3/F4 business. Those two keys have nothing to do
with macros in my world. I still use C-x ( and C-X ) (old habits die
hard). I presume somewhere in your setup you bound F3 and F4 to
commands which start and end macro definitions. At any rate, you can
read all about messing with macros here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Keyboard-Macros.html#Keyboard-Macros

Skip