Re: Wrong times for sunrise/sunset?

From: Van L
Subject: Re: Wrong times for sunrise/sunset?
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 13:02:44 +1100

> (I understand that I know very little abot time calculations and such,
> and I understand they are difficult. I'd just like to know.)

Metwo.

Can those calculations tell the diameter of the Sun? without; observation.

     In his astronomical writings, Proclus described how the
     water clock invented by Heron could be used to measure the
     apparent diameter of the Sun. Proclus's method can be used
     at the equinox. Water is collected from the clock in a
     container while the sun rises. As soon as the Sun has risen
     the water is collected in another container and this
     measurement continues until sunrise the following day. Then
     the ratio of the weights of water in the two containers
     gives the apparent diameter of the Sun. [1]

Footnotes
─────────

[1] The link is:
<http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Biographies/Proclus.html>