Re: Magit obsolete ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Magit obsolete ?
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 00:07:52 +0100

jonetsu wrote:

> I'm looking for git support within emacs.
> After browsing here and there it looks like
> Magit would be a good contender. The latest
> update on the Magit web page is from the end
> of last year. The version in melpa seems even
> more recent: 20190202.1535.
>
> However the first two description lines of
> the package in melpa are:
>
> magit is an available obsolete package.

> What gives ?

Good question, however on the EmacsWiki it says

    Magit is the most popular front end for
    Git. If you are new to Git and do not need
    support for other vcs this is likely the
    package you should try first. [1]

so I don't think it is obsolete in general.
That must refer to the particular version, or
something else.

Besides it doesn't matter if something is
"obsolete" as long as it works and is
beneficial to the user.

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git

--