Re: nXML mode word separators

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: nXML mode word separators
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 09:59:29 -0500

> I unfortunately have to work with handwritten XML which is used to
> define complex application configs. In that context, apostrophes are
> valid string delimiters, at least in whatever XML pseudo-dialect these
> files are written in. So, both of these snippets mean the same thing:
>
> <Env INST="2" />
> <Env INST='2' />
>
> I'm not in any sort of position to dictate any changes, so I need to
> adapt. So, forward-word currently skips over apostrophes (considering
> them word characters) and kill-word (even worse) deletes them.

Word operations are not meant to be sensitive to the major mode, so it's
not a bug for them to behave differently for ' and " here (and this is
a matter of personal preference and hence local customization).

OTOH, syntax-aware operations (such as highlighting, indentation, and
things like that) should not get confused by such a difference since
both are valid XML and equivalent.

So, if the problem you describe only affects word operations, go ahead
and customize them to your heart's content, but if it also affects
syntax-aware operations, please report it as a bug.

        Stefan