Re: missing src/ directory for eval.c (Was: 1L?)

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: missing src/ directory for eval.c (Was: 1L?)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:17:54 +0700

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:41 PM Van Ly <vy0123@me.com> wrote:

> > If I were you, I'd file a bug report with NetBSD.
>
> The packaged distribution’s behaviour for GNU/Emacs 22 is identical. This is
> the original GNU/Emacs found on the Mac. The src/ directory is missing for
> eval.c .
>
> Unlike the Lisp files, the C files are not targeted and placed outside of the
> source distribution by `make install`. It seems.
>
> And, maintainers for 4 package variants, 3 installer variants, 2 hardware
> vendor variants may not be aware, or, this is what God intends.

I think pretty much no binary package distribution is going to include
C sources of Emacs in the main package. From the maintainer’s point of
view, they are unnecessary for the majority of the users. For that
matter, even Elisp sources are distributed in an optional emacs-el
package by Debian and Ubuntu.

And if you ‘apt-get source emacs’ into a directory of your choice, you
can point Emacs at this directory and it will do the right thing.