Re: `write-region' writes different bytes than passed to it?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `write-region' writes different bytes than passed to it?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 14:44:57 -0500

> Yes, in a better world, a better deity would be well advised to make
> raw bytes unnecessary and non-existent.

I think raw bytes are OK.  The problem here is the encoding of a unibyte
text (i.e. treating the unibyte text as holding chars rather than bytes).

The two are quite different: Raw bytes happen because of "faulty" data.
Encoding of unibyte text happens because of faulty *code* (the code
should either not encode, or should be using multibyte text instead).

To some extent both are unavoidable, but we have more control over the code
executed in Emacs than over the data it has to manipulate.

        Stefan