Re: missing src/ directory for eval.c (Was: 1L?)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: missing src/ directory for eval.c (Was: 1L?)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:45:20 +0100

Yuri Khan wrote:

> I think pretty much no binary package
> distribution is going to include C sources of
> Emacs in the main package. From the
> maintainer’s point of view, they are
> unnecessary for the majority of the users.
> For that matter, even Elisp sources are
> distributed in an optional emacs-el package
> by Debian and Ubuntu.

Yes, you get the Elisp source from the repos as
an ordinary package, namely emacs-el (as you
say).

For the whole source, including the C, you add
(if it isn't there already) a "deb-src" line to
/etc/apt/sources.list , e.g.

    deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free
rpi

and then do

    $ apt-get source emacs24

> And if you ‘apt-get source emacs’ into
> a directory of your choice, you can point
> Emacs at this directory and it will do the
> right thing.

I have to include the version, so the
command-line argument corresponds to
a non-metapackge name, otherwise I get
something else.

If you do use an Emacs version from the repos,
and not bleeding-edge from Git, I think it
makes sense to get the source from the repos as
well, and point the variable there. Perhaps it
won't matter much in the average case, but it
makes more sense.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573