Re: [OFFTOPIC] 1L?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] 1L?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 15:34:08 -0500

> AOL! Except my switch was when a SuSE distro failed to upgrade in 2001.

Hmm... my switch to Debian was in 2003 (I was using Redhat before
because it was not my own machine(s), so I only had a chance to choose
in 2003, after 7 years without owning a computer (my earlier computer
couldn't run GNU/Linux anyway, it was limited to MiNT)).

> The machine I initially installed debian on actually survived to 2016 (a
> 1996 vintage PII 233MHz),

My initial machine (Thinkpad X30) was brand new in 2003, so it's still
alive and kicking (although its mouse buttons are dead, so I have to use
keyboard emulation of mouse clicks), still running Debian testing.
I use it to project PDF slides in class.

Actually, I also remember now that another selling point for Debian was
the "testing" version, which lets you do "lots of small painless
upgrades" instead of "less frequent but more painful upgrades".

        Stefan