Re: eshell manual: texinfo question

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: eshell manual: texinfo question
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 08:00:50 +0900

Gregor,

You need to send this to the texinfo dev list. It is not an emacs issue.

The best way to deal with that is to change texinfo so that the output does not
add arbitrary English strings to the links/references. Those should be added by
the author (it's also l10n best practice).

Jean-Christophe

> On Feb 14, 2019, at 6:40, Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hi emacs users,
>
> the eshell.text file as of current emacs master contains the
> following paragraph:
>

> The command can be either an Elisp function or an external command.
> Eshell looks first for an @ref{Aliases, alias} with the same name as the
> command, then a @ref{Built-ins, built-in command} or a function with the
> same name; if there is no match, it then tries to execute it as an
> external command.
>

> With makeinfo version 6.3 this renders nicely in html:
> <eshell.html.png>
> but not so nice in pdf:
> <eshell.pdf.png>
> and not in info:
> <eshell.info.png>
>
> I changed this paragraph with the help of texinfo-insert-dwim-@ref to:
>

> The command can be either an Elisp function or an external command.
> Eshell looks first for an alias (@pxref{Aliases}) with the same name as the
> command, then a built-in (@pxref{Built-ins}) or a function with the
> same name; if there is no match, it then tries to execute it as an
> external command.
>

> Now this renders nicely (if a bit heavy) in html:
> <eshell-patched.html.png>
> even heavier in pdf:
> <eshell-patched.pdf.png>
> but in info the second "see" is missing:
> <eshell-patched.info.png>
>
> I also played with further with 'online-label' and
> 'printed-label' as described in the manual, but this did not hel
> either.  I'm mostly interested in the info output, but for files
> distributed with Emacs it should look good in all output formats.
>

> Any ideas, what to do in order to fix this issue?
>

> Ciao; Gregor

Jean-Christophe Helary