colours lost

From: Madhu
Subject: colours lost
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 12:40:58 +0530

* [posted on gnu.emacs.help 2019-01-06]
  <m3ef9psumc.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

I'm running an X toolkit build (master from around november) and very
recently I am losing all colours both under X and tty. Typically I start
emacs via --daemon and attach to it via both X and tty.

What I mean is eg. M-x list-colors-display shows a buffer in which all
the the lines are displayed with foreground colour set to the default
foreground, background colour to the default background, and font set to
the default-font.  Same with happens M-x list-faces-display.  colours
set via font-lock still work.  Emacs starts off ok but somewhere this
gets triggered and I can't think of what I've been doing recently that
causes this.  Where do I start looking for the code which handles this?
---Madhu