Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:07:22 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The Savannah folks are a different set from the Emacs ELPA folks.
> > Although Ian, one of the FSF admins, is subscribed and therefore
> > perhaps he might jump in.  But talking to the Emacs ELPA folks
> > directly would be more direct.  I don't know who they are.
>
> Not sure what you mean.  ELPA is hosted on Savannah, it's a Git
> repository, and the problem sounds like connectivity problem with
> IPv6, so savannah-hackers-public sounds appropriate to me.

But the report was about elpa.gnu.org:

> > error in process filter: Error retrieving:
> > https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)

I see no *.savannah.gnu.org in that URL path.  elpa.gnu.org is a
separate machine.  (I can't log into it.  I have no access to it.  I
have no idea what happens there.  I don't know who administers that
system.  I am pretty sure it is another VM in the FSF hosting because
it is on the same subnet.  But that is as far I know anything about it.)

What is hosted on Savannah is the git repository, which is part of
Emacs and that is at one of these paths for git access.

  git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
  ssh://git.savannah.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs.git

And the cgit web page of the git source.

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/

And the Savannah project page for Emacs is:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs

If it doesn't have savannah.gnu.org or savannah.nongnu.org in the URL
then the Savannah Hackers team doesn't have access to it.

[[Aside: Additionally for my involvement I also have limited access to
lists.gnu.org for mailing list stuff.  But that is a separate thing
almost entirely from Savannah.  Things like the OS on lists.gnu.org
and Mailman installation are almost entirely in the control of the FSF
admins.  (I would get in there and fix Mailman bugs if I could.)  I
have limited access however so you will see me answering mailing list
issues.  (And all of the anti-spam cancelbot "listhelper" happens on
my own server machines outside of any of the gnu.org systems.)  There
are a few very specific Savannah web UI actions that will trigger
things like new mailing list creation and password reset.  About half
of the mailing lists were created by web UI button push and the other
half were created outside of Savannah.  But other than that the
mailing lists are almost an entirely different area from Savannah.]]

Bob