Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: GNU Elpa not reachable (possibly OT)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 18:03:38 +0100

On Mon, Feb 18 2019, Robert Pluim wrote:
error in process filter: Error retrieving:
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error http 400)

Do you get this error straight away, or after a timeout?

It takes a bit of time. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all. I normally use paradox, which just sits there trying to refresh the package list. If I disable paradox, I get this error, though not straight away.

Any chance of you running tcpdump or wireshark to capture what traffic
Emacs is sending?

tcpdump is installed on my machine, but the man page doesn't tell me what command I'd have to enter to get the results you're interested in, so you'd have to help me out a bit.

You may have a not-quite-working IPv6 setup, which is causing Emacs to try to connect via IPv6 and failing rather than falling back to IPv4.

Could you let us know which version of Emacs this is? Also that
network trace would be *really* useful.

"GNU Emacs 26.1.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)\n of 2019-02-04"

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments