Re: Google Gmail mailing list bounces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 21:36:52 +0200

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:18:21 -0700
> From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
>
> If Mailman disables a subscriber due to bounces then later (due to a
> nightly cron?) Mailman sends a notice to the recipient that their
> subscription has been suspended

First, until that cron job runs, the victim could miss quite a lot of
messages.  And second, I wouldn't be surprised if that notification
went straight to the spam folder, the way it's formatted.

> > IMO, it would be prudent if people who oversee GNU lists and
> > configure mailman could do something to prevent this automatic
> > blocking, because it makes no sense to me: why do we care so much
> > about a bounced message?
>
> Bounce messages are the only way to detect that subscribers fall off
> the planetary network.

That's true, but why disable their delivery on the first such message?
Why not wait until there are, say, a dozen of them?  A small number of
bounced messages means a temporary problem, which doesn't justify such
drastic measures, IMO.

> Sure some addresses are only temporarily undeliverable.  That's why
> Mailman uses rate limits.  Normally if there is a bounce or two it
> doesn't do anything other than bounce those individual messages.  It
> is only when there are many that something must be wrong and delivery
> is suspended.

It does?  I certainly don't see that.  IME, a single bounced message
causes a user's mail delivery to be disabled.  What did I miss?