Re: Colors on TTY (v26)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Colors on TTY (v26)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 16:51:03 -0400

> This is indeed a bug: different result returned by same routine.  Either
> list-colors-display should not exist at an early stage or color capability
> probe should be done earlier.

The probe can't be done earlier, because we want the user to be able to
affect this probe via settings in ~/.emacs.

We could try and make it better, e.g. by making list-colors-display
aware of the fact that in ttys the color info is not immediately
available, so when called early it could signal an error, or it could
eagerly trigger the probe.

Feel free to report a bug about it.

But my guess is that it will not be very high on the priority list of
other people (tho, it's always hard to predict those things), so you're
more likely to see it move forward if you can include some
(proof-of-concept) patch with your bug-report (or if you make the report
into a "could you help me fix it" request more than a "please fix it for
me").

        Stefan