Re: Fatal error 11: Segmentation Fault

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Fatal error 11: Segmentation Fault
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 06:47:06 +0200

Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> emacs25-dbg (if exists in Raspbian) is needed
> for readable stack traces.

Indeed, it is needed and it exists - Raspbian
is Debian for the RPi is the saying (and it is
true).

>> The source my Emacs was installed from isn't
>> still on my computer (with
>> apt-get/aptitude), right?
>
> If you have emacs25-src installed, you have
> the source, I suppose.

Yes, but not the actual source Emacs was
compiled from, right? (But the difference is
perhaps academic.)

> Okay, after installing emacs25-dbg, do this:
>
> $ gdb emacs
> (gdb) run
> <... use emacs until it crashes ...>
> (gdb) backtrace
> (gdb) xbacktrace
>
> Copy the output of the last two commands and
> paste them on the buffer created by M-x
> report-emacs-bug.
>
> To exit GDB:
>
> (gdb) quit
> <... if it asks for a confirmation, say `y'...>

Why don't you put this together and suggest it
as an addition to (info "(emacs) Checklist")

Actually I think there should be a
"How to use GDB when Emacs crashes" node
(child/leaf) from (info "(emacs) Bugs") .

"Checklist" is like a typical thing people
typically don't like to check out! You get the
feeling there is a schoolteacher behind that
door telling you to improve your handwriting,
or something.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573