Re: Using 'git bisect' to pinpoint errors in .emacs. Was: Fatal error 11

From: Vegard Vesterheim
Subject: Re: Using 'git bisect' to pinpoint errors in .emacs. Was: Fatal error 11: Segmentation Fault
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 12:47:36 +0000

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 14:14:39 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> FWIW, IME bisection is only helpful when you cannot reproduce the
> issue at will or easily enough.

I disagree, it was *very* helpful *for me* to be able to get rid of the
segfaults.

> If reproduction is easy, it is much more useful to debug the failure
> than to find the change which is to blame, because finding that change
> in most cases still doesn't tell you how to fix the problem, certainly
> not with a segfault.

This is a valid point. At least for those who have the necessary
knowledge and determination to perform the debugging. I remember having
intentions about reporting this specific bug. I tried to create a
minimal configuration which still triggered the bug, but I gave up when
I was unable to easily do so.

--
- Vegard V -