Re: using new versions of emacs without stoping a session

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using new versions of emacs without stoping a session
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 10:01:16 -0400

> Is it possible to keep emacs running and update its code ?
> For lisp code I guess that's not an issue, but for the c code ?

You can definitely edit Emacs's C code while it's running as well as
compile this new code.  I do that all the time.
But in order for Emacs to start using this new code, you're going to
have to start a new process (but you don't have to stop the old
process for that).

That's one of the main reasons why we generally prefer when the
code is written in Elisp rather than in C,

        Stefan