Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 16:20:57 +0900

> On Apr 18, 2019, at 13:47, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Apr 17 2019, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> There is one. MIT license since octobre 2018:
>> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SubEthaEditProtocol
>
> To me this is *waaaaaaay* too complicated. I don't know how I'd pronounce
> SubEthaEdit (and needed to double-check how to spell it) so it'd be a rocky
> start to asking someone to collaborate with it.

That's the protocol. The implementation is transparent to the user. SubEthaEdit
was the first mac software to implement easy to use collaboration. It was
commercial software but eventually was freed last year I think and they also
documented the protocol.

> I think collaboration needs to be as easy as: "Let's just collaborate over
> email."

That was even simpler than that :)

> Pie is sky of course...

If a few guys in Germany made it 10 years ago, I have no doubt the Emacs team
can do it :)

But I'll try the other solutions proposed in this thread meanwhile :)

Jean-Christophe Helary